Rural Teacher Global Fellowship


Frequently Asked Questions


Q.   Who can apply for the Rural Trust Global Teacher Fellowship?

Annie Gibavic: The Kamagap in Kenya
The Kamagap in Kenya — 2012.
A.    Any K–12 teacher working full-time and teaching at least 60% time in a public rural community classroom can apply for the fellowship. Counselors, media specialists and other school personnel working in a teaching setting for at least 60% of their paid work time may also apply. In either case, you must have completed four years of teaching by the start of the fellowship.

Q.   How does the Rural Trust define rural for fellowship purposes?

A.   The Rural Trust defines a rural community by National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) locale codes: 32 (Town, Distant); 33 (Town, Remote); 41 (Rural, Fringe); 42 (Rural, Distant); or 43 (Rural, Remote). If your school is listed in one of these locale codes, you are eligible to apply. Visit the NCES website to find the code for your school or district.

If your school or district is Rural Education Achievement Program (REAP) eligible, you may also apply. Visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Small, Rural School Achievement Program (SRSA) or Rural and Low-Income School Program (RLISP) eligibility charts by state.

If you have questions about your school’s classification, please contact Joyce Sanders at the Rural Trust:

Q.   How often can I apply? If my application is rejected, can I apply again?

A.   You may apply as often as you wish. However, if you are awarded a fellowship, you will not be eligible to re-apply for five years.

Q.   Can I fax or print and mail my application?

A.   No, faxed or mailed applications will not be accepted.

Q.   What is the timeline for the 2016 Fellowship program?

A.   The confirmed dates for the 2016 Rural Trust Global Teacher Fellowship Program are:
  • February 12, 2016: Application Deadline
  • February 2016: Application Review Process
  • April 2016: Notification of Awards



Q.   How long do I have from the date of the award to complete my fellowship?

A.    Awards are announced in late February–Mid-March. Recipients are expected to complete their projects and travels over the summer.  If for any reason the recipient is unable to fulfill the award agreement, then the funds must be returned to the Rural Trust.

Q.   Once I return from my travels, what is expected of me?

A.    A Post-Fellowship Institute is usually held in mid-September and all recipients are required to participate. A written report or digital presentation meeting YouTube guidelines, along with a financial statement, is expected from all awardees by the September meeting. Fellows are expected to share their experiences, project outcomes, and plans for integrating new learning based on the experience into their teaching. Fellows are also expected to share their experiences directly with their school and community and assist their colleagues in incorporating aspects of their learning in other classrooms as well.

Q.   How can I promote the program to others in my school district, community, and professional networks?

A.    Sharing the excitement of your travels or reinvigorating experiences with your colleagues and community is an important way to promote the program. Encourage others to apply for the program by providing them with program materials and directing them to the website: You can also promote the program by distributing press releases to local media that detail your travels or projects.



Q.   What happens if I don’t spend all of the fellowship dollars?

A.   You must return unspent funds to the Rural Trust.

Q.   What if I spend over the fellowship amount?

A.   The Rural Trust can only fund the agreed upon amount.

Q.   How do I account for receipts in foreign languages and exchange rates?

A.   Using a currency exchange rate chart from the foreign country that is applicable to the time of your travel, convert the foreign currency to US Dollars and include that amount on your expense report.

Q.   What if I spend money with street vendors in a foreign country who can’t write a receipt? How do I account for the money spent?

A.   You must provide some proof of purchase.



Q.    How do I credit the fellowship in publications, on Internet sites, and in other media?

A.   With all published materials and reports in traditional and Internet media, include a tag that reads:

“This Rural Trust Global Teacher Fellowship was made possible with funds from The Rural School and Community Trust, helping rural schools and communities grow better together.”


2016 The Rural School and Community Trust